St. Minas stands in the southwest of
the Four Lions' square and is the patron saint of Iraklio because, as the
legend has it, He saved the Christians from the slaughter of the Turks in
the early 19th century. It took thirty years to be constructed and it was
inaugurated in 1896. Next to it we can find the older smaller church of St.